Saturday, August 29, 2015

Holy Cow!!!!

Well I survived the first full week of teaching. I have learned that 45 minutes goes really fast with 7th graders. Here is a list of things I wish someone told me for the first week of teaching my content area.
I wish someone told me:
1.      That they have no clue they need to write their first AND last name and period on every paper they turn in.
2.      That student’s will constantly tell you they know of a cute guy you should date. ( Well, mostly just the same 3 girls in 5th period)
3.      That even though you told them to write the assignment on the top of the page they can’t do it.
4.      That you really really really have to explain that they cannot leave class unless they want to use their hall pass and once they use them both they can’t leave class anymore.
5.      That they are scared beyond all get out and have no clue what is going on. You need a ton of patience!
6.      That you really need to spend a long time talking about how to write your name, period, and assignment on their papers.
7.      That when you make math as fun as I do you will hear people whispering about your class while you’re standing in line at the movie theater, grocery store, climbing at The Quarry, in the halls and how to handle it. (Sometimes parents are just as awkward as their 12 year old)
8.      They can remember that you subtracted wrong but can’t remember to write their last name on their paper.
9.      That even though I have a sign that says Miss. Lee I was absent they will still ask you where to find the assignment from when they were absent. Also you will repeatedly tell them in class how to turn in late/absent work and they will ask you how right when you get finished explaining it
10.  That the light that turns on when you re-explain something in a different way is the best look you will ever get.
11.  That the paperwork that goes with teaching is why all the good teachers quit. I really care about the students but the paperwork is endless and pointless.
12.  That you can get even the worst class to have great class conversations with a bag of starbursts.
13.  Seriously the amount of paperwork is huge!
14.  That you will get a class that has conflicting 504 and IEP plans and you are expected to carry them all out at the same time. (504 and IEP are kind of special education plans)


Overall class is going great! I’m seeing a lot of great things and fixing a lot of bad things. Here are some pictures of my classroom.

Every teacher has a plaque with the school mascot of the college they went to
There is a ton of red at this school.
The sign that is hung crooked is that way on purpose. Students love to point
out when stuff isn't right but none of them have noticed so I know they are
not reading the sign that has the answers to their questions on it. 

This is a panorama of my classroom standing in front 

another picture from the front. This is what I see pretty much all the time.
Our school has no windows so it makes for a long day

The FOCUS has the clock for the O but its a crazy math clock
The students think it's cool but they are always asking me what time it is

The board with the grid on it says Miss Lee I was absent above it
the grid is a calendar will the assignment written on it

view from my desk


view from the door

No comments:

Post a Comment